Aggie Milestones


NMSU’s College of Arts and Sciences began in 1917. Originally named the School of General Sciences, it was led by Dean John H. Vaughn. Today, the college is the largest in terms of the number of students at NMSU and includes departments in fine arts, humanities, science and social science.

Ralph W. Goddard first came to NMSU as a professor in 1917. Four years later, he helped construct a 140-foot tower atop the engineering building for a radio station, eventually designated as KOB. In 1929, Goddard died after being electrocuted as he prepared the station for an evening broadcast. Two of the university’s broadcast stations, KRWG-FM and KRWG-TV bear Goddard’s initials.

NMSU first utilized a “computerized” class registration process in 1967. Campus computer center facilities were used to tabulate student requests for classes. Once all requests were tabulated, the students were then matched with the classes available.


NMSU’s Business Complex was dedicated during a public ceremony in 1987. The building, which now houses the College of Business, was designed to reflect the older campus buildings it faced, including Guthrie Hall and Kent Hall.


NMSU named its first Regents Professors in 2002. Six senior faculty members were selected in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the university’s mission. The original Regents Professors included linguist and author Ricardo Aguilar-Melantzon, futurist Lowell B. Catlett, novelist and creative writing teacher Kevin C. McIlvoy, economist James T. Peach, anthropologist Wenda R. Trevathan and chemist Joseph Wang.

Each Regents Professor receives a chair that symbolizes their contributions to NMSU.