Skip to main content

Aggie milestones

130 years

Fabian Garcia enrolled at New Mexico Agricultural College in 1890, and eventually became the college’s first Hispanic graduate and a member of its first graduating class in 1894. He is famous for his pioneering work in chile, onions and pecans.

110 years

A fire destroyed McFie Hall in 1910, better known as “Old Main,” 20 years after it was built. McFie Hall was named for John R. McFie, a judge, prominent Las Crucen and early supporter of New Mexico Agricultural College. McFie Hall’s cornerstone still stands on the NMSU Horseshoe, next to the flagpole.

100 years

On March 31, 1920, students stood on the tower of Goddard Hall to survey and layout the letter “A” on Tortugas Mountain, starting a tradition of Aggie pride. The “A” is located three miles east of campus, stands 300 feet tall by 80 feet wide, and forms a perfect east-west line with the International Mall, the NMSU Horseshoe and College Avenue.

65 years

Roger B. Corbett became president in 1955. During his tenure, New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts was formally renamed New Mexico State University.

15 years

More than $250 million was raised during Doing What Counts, NMSU’s first comprehensive fundraising campaign, which was launched in 2005. The funds supported the creation of 13 new academic chairs, 18 professorships, 323 scholarship endowments and 52 campuswide name designations of buildings, classrooms, laboratories and sports facilities.



McFie Hall


"A" Mountain