Skip to main content

Aggie milestones

115 years

The Old Seed House, the oldest building on campus, hosted the Carnival Ball in February 1906. While the building’s construction date is unknown, it predates the university itself. It was a popular gathering place for many student events, and still stands on the east end of College Avenue. It is the only building from the 1800s that remains at NMSU.

100 years

The Aggie Fight Song first appeared in its present-day form in the Round-Up in October 1921. One of the song’s most colorful lines about buying “a keg of booze” was actually illegal at the time because of Prohibition and the 18th Amendment. While variations were made to the song’s lyrics through the 1930s and early 1940s, the version Aggie fans sing today features the same words printed more than 90 years ago.

95 years

Paul W. Klipsch graduated from the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts in 1926. He continued his research into audio frequency, efficiency and speakers, and eventually obtained numerous audio speaker-related patents. His Heritage Line of speakers are still known worldwide for their quality and accuracy. Klipsch received an honorary doctorate from NMSU in 1981. The Paul W. Klipsch Lecture Hall, the Paul W. Klipsch Department of Electrical Engineering and the Klipsch School of Electrical Engineering are all named in his honor.

75 years

Robert L. Westhafer began his career at the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts in 1946 as a professor in the Department of Mathematics. Today, the Westhafer Award is presented to faculty members for excellence in teaching, research and creative activity.

55 years

Lou Henson coached his first game as the Aggie men’s basketball head coach Dec. 1, 1966. He went on to lead the team to the NCAA Tournament in six of his first nine seasons, including a Final Four appearance in 1970.



The Old Seed House